Glenwood Springs Attractions & Activities
Voted America’s Best Small Town – Come discover the Rocky Mountain’s Hidden Gem
Savor for yourself the Attractions Playground that is Glenwood Springs. Our city was recently named the Most Fun Town in America by Rand McNally.
The Hotel Colorado is your western Colorado destination for boundless adventure. Since 1893, the Hotel carries on the tradition of magical mountain getaways. Our surroundings are alive with historic treasures and romantic charm; this national historic landmark provides something for everyone. Here, a true western hospitality inspires an easy-going friendliness and a relaxing pace. Stroll the town with its museums, art galleries and shops. You’ll find just about every menu option at Glenwood’s many restaurants. The vapor caves and Glenwood Caverns just down the road offer wonderful insight into the geothermal characteristics of the area.
Ski Colorado’s crystal powder, explore mystic caverns, shatter the silence of a woodland trail with your footsteps, immerse yourself in soothing waters, then, join us at the Hotel for a warming massage, a refreshing cool drink or a steaming latte.
Glenwood Springs Attractions
Glenwood Canyon is a rugged scenic 12.5 mi (20 km) canyon on the Colorado River in western Colorado in the United States. Its walls climb as high as 1,300 feet (400 m) above the Colorado River. It is the largest such canyon on the Upper Colorado. The canyon, which has historically provided the routes of railroads and highways through western Colorado, currently furnishes the routes of Interstate 70 and the Central Corridor between Denver and Grand Junction. The canyon stretches from near Dotsero, where the Colorado receives the Eagle River, downstream in a west-southwest direction to just east of Glenwood Springs, on the mouth of the Roaring Fork. Most of the canyon is in Garfield County, with the upper portion near Dotsero lying in Eagle County.
GLENWOOD CANYON FAST FACTS
- 40 bridges over 12.5 miles
- 15 miles of retaining walls
- 2–4,000-foot-long tunnels
- 150,000 new trees and shrubs planted
- 30,000 tons of structural and reinforcing steel used
- 810,000 tons of concrete used
- 2 million tiles in Hanging Lake tunnels
- 300 engineers consulted on the project
- $490.3 million final cost of construction
- 4 full-service rest areas that provide access to trails and the Colorado River
- The project won more than 30 awards, including the 1993 Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers
- A French-made overhead gantry was used to place 1,751 individual pre-cast concrete segments that make up French Creek and Hanging Lake Viaducts
- In 2011, Hanging Lake was designated a National Natural Landmark
- Glenwood Canyon is home to a thriving wildlife population including bighorn sheep, marmots, raccoons, birds, bears, deer, mountain lions and coyotes
- The CDOT traffic management facility in the Hanging Lake Tunnels also monitors the conditions in the Wolf Creek Pass Tunnel approximately 200 miles away
GLENWOOD CAVERNS ADVENTURE PARK IN GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO
The Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is one of Glenwood Springs’ most popular attractions, featuring cave tours, thrill rides, restaurants, kids’ activities, special events, and more. Nestled in the heart of the Rocky Mountains in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, the Adventure Park sits on top of Iron Mountain with breathtaking views of the Roaring Fork Valley and surrounding mountains.
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is burstin’ with fun and adventure, and your biggest challenge will be how to pack it all in. Explore stunning caverns and formations in Colorado’s largest showcave. Fly down the mountain on Colorado’s longest alpine coaster, hang on to your seat in Colorado’s first 4D Ride Theater and fly through the air high above Glenwood Springs, out over scenic Glenwood Canyon in our Giant Canyon Swing.
Take a relaxing dip in the healing mineral-rich waters and then retreat to your comfortable room at the hotel. Since 1888, the pool has delivered over three million gallons of hot water a day. Glenwood Hot Springs has relaxed and rejuvenated guests for over a century. A kiddie pool, swim lessons and two waterslides are available in the summer. For details, visit www.hotspringspool.com
IRON MOUNTAIN HOT SPRINGS IN GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO
The Iron Mountain Hot Springs caters to all who appreciate relaxing with a warm soak surrounded by mountain views. Glenwood Spring’s newest hot spot offers 16 mineral hot springs soaking pools and a freshwater family pool with a jetted spa. All are located alongside the Colorado River, just across from the base of the tram at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, with Rocky Mountain views that soothe and inspire.