5 Glenwood Springs Winter Workouts That Are Snow-good!
It might be tempting to pause your training routine while on holiday, especially if the weather outside is frightful—cold and snowy. Fortunately, Glenwood Springs is a Colorado mountain town with an active year-round lifestyle, and winter is prime time for outdoor exercise. Here are a handful of workouts to try while away from home and all just minutes from Hotel Colorado.
- Go for a winter hike. You won’t be cold for long when you hit the trails in Glenwood Springs. While hiking is a year-round activity, it does require some special preparation. Wear layers to manage your temperature and studded anti-slip shoe/boot attachments like Yaxtrax to help you be as sure-footed on steep slopes as the native bighorn sheep. Hiking poles can also come in handy on a winter hike. Our favorite nearby spots to hoof it are Red Mountain and Doc Holliday Trail.
- Nordic skiing at Spring Gulch. With over 21 kilometers of trails, there is a full-body workout waiting for every cross-country skier at Spring Gulch Nordic Center—from greenhorn newbies to seasoned langlaufers. For those just finding their feet on skinny skis, give Lazy Eight trail a go; for more of a challenge head to Highball or the Big Dipper. To keep the trails in pristine condition for skiers, leave pooches at home. Dogs are not allowed at Spring Gulch Nordic Center.
- Snowshoeing and fat biking at Sunlight. The Babbish Gulch trails at Sunlight Mountain Resort are a popular spot for both slow- and fast-paced sports. For a leisurely, yet heart-pumping experience, strap on some snowshoes and explore miles of well-marked trails that meander through pine and aspen forests. A small warming hut along the way makes a great destination for a snack stop. For a more fast-paced and intense workout, fat biking is gaining traction as a winter activity. Basically mountain biking on snow, fat biking allows enthusiasts to slide in another season of cycling.
- Laps at Glenwood Hot Springs Pool. Glenwood Springs is one of the few places where you can comfortably train in the pool even during a blizzard. There’s nothing stopping you from diving into an effective workout even when the snow is falling. Glenwood Hot Springs Pool features several designated lap lanes at the west end of the complex. A wall-mounted timer can help keep track of your splits and intervals as you run through your workout. When you’re done, treat your muscles to a soothing soak in the 104˚F Therapy Pool.
- Pick-up hockey. Put your workout on ice at Glenwood Springs Community Center. The ice rink is open through mid-March and features a National Hockey League-size covered outdoor rink. Test your skills against other players in a friendly game of stick and puck. Rent skates at the community center and check the center’s website for drop-in hockey times.
If the mantra to work hard and play hard resonates with you, then stick to your workout regimen even when it’s cold outside. Learn more about how to personalize your Glenwood Springs winter vacation and make plans to stay at Hotel Colorado today!