End Summer with a Big 5 Finish in Glenwood Springs
By all indicators fall is on the way—school is back in session, temperatures are cooling off, sunset is earlier each day and Hotel Colorado is already planning our 32nd Annual Lighting Ceremony. Before sweater season arrives, however, we encourage you to give summer one last hurrah with these sunny-season activities.
- Whitewater Rafting. Make a last-chance summer splash with a rafting trip down the Colorado River through Glenwood Canyon. With bright, blue skies overhead and plenty of bumpy water to add excitement, book a guided trip with a Glenwood Springs rafting outfitter to paddle one of the most scenic stretches of a waterway in Colorado. With the river lower and slower, late summer is perfect timing for an outing that’s mellower and more family-friendly than during the peak of high water runoff, yet still offers a boatload of water-centric fun.
- Adventure Rides. Take flight on the mountaintop rides at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. The theme park recently launched Defiance, a scream of a roller coaster sure to satisfy the cravings of even the most hardcore adrenaline junkies. With a drop that is technically beyond vertical, the ride takes the sensation of freefalling to the limit. The operation of rides is subject to overnight temperatures. Once the mercury drops below a certain point, thrill rides close for the season. With plenty of warm-weather days ahead, ride them all while you can!
- Hot Springs. Make the most of the waning summer days by alternating between soaking in the water and soaking up the sun. Relax with pool time and deck time at Iron Mountain Hot Springs or Glenwood Hot Springs Pool. Even though there’s a perceptible coolness in the air, the sun’s rays are still powerfully strong. Wear a hat and slather on sunscreen to protect skin from sun damage.
- Outdoor Libations. The seasonal climes right now are also conducive to alfresco entertainment, dining and drinking at the Hotel Colorado Restaurant & Bar. For several weeks, well into September, rally around the fresh-air setting of the courtyard to listen to live music Thursdays through Saturdays, dig into a delicious, chef-prepared meal or raise a glass to toast summer’s end with friends. Once the weather chills, the hotel’s food and beverage services transition to the cozy atmosphere indoors.
- Biking. Feel the wind on your face with a bike ride on trails that originate in Glenwood Springs. Cooler daytime temperatures are an open invitation for increased outdoor exertion. For excursions suitable for all ages and abilities, stick to either Rio Grande Trail or Glenwood Canyon Bike Path. Both are paved for a smooth ride. The former follows the Roaring Fork River for 42 miles to Aspen, while the latter snakes through Glenwood Canyon for 16 miles. Pedal under your own power or choose an electric assist bicycle, both options are available at bike rental shops in town.
Take our advice and send off summer with a final hurrah in Glenwood Springs. Learn more and make reservations to stay at Hotel Colorado today!